Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Like us
Latest topics
» Stargazing + Perseid Trip
Geminids Meteor Watch EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 11:36 pm by ZerOne01

» Theme Song
Geminids Meteor Watch EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 3:49 pm by Drad_Flinger

» Do this simple test to prove your eyes need adaptation
Geminids Meteor Watch EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 10:16 am by ZerOne01

» June Stargazing plan
Geminids Meteor Watch EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 8:33 am by ZerOne01

» Chat Thread v1
Geminids Meteor Watch EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 3:17 am by Drad_Flinger

» IRC Channel
Geminids Meteor Watch EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 1:39 pm by ZerOne01

» Domain Redirection and Custom Mail
Geminids Meteor Watch EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 9:27 pm by masap3

» Where is the best spot to stargaze in your place?
Geminids Meteor Watch EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 9:21 pm by masap3

» How to start right in Astronomy
Geminids Meteor Watch EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 9:10 pm by Drad_Flinger

Fan Page
Similar topics
    Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
    Affiliates
    free forum
    Falak Online
    Stargazers Lounge

Geminids Meteor Watch

Go down 
    4 posters
    Go to page : 1, 2  Next
    AuthorMessage
    ZerOne01
    Admin
    Admin
    ZerOne01

Male Twitter Updater

Geminids Meteor Watch Empty
    PostSubject: Geminids Meteor Watch   Geminids Meteor Watch EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 10:09 pm

Basically Geminids shower is one of the awesome meteor shower besides of Perseids and Orionids meteor shower. The point of this shower will be in the constellation Gemini. Here is some info regarding this;

Quote :
    Geminids Meteor Shower. Considered by many to be the best meteor shower in the heavens, the Geminids are known for producing up to 60 multicolored meteors per hour at their peak. The peak of the shower this year should occur on the night of December 13 and morning of the 14th, although some meteors should be visible from December 6 - 19. Some estimates say there could be as many as 120 meteors an hour visible from dark-sky locations. The radiant point for this shower will be in the constellation Gemini. The Moon will set early in the evening setting the sky up for a spectacular show. Best viewing is usually to the east after midnight.

And according to calculation, December 13 and morning 14th will be the peak of the shower. Refer to this graph;

Geminids Meteor Watch Geminids

The latitude and longitude is exactly at Pantai Morib, Banting. There's not much differences if we change the direction.

Spoiler:

Some slight changes due to misinterpret the calendar, our weekend is actually at 11 and 12, so we can do stargazing or watch at 10 and 11 December. Here is the graph

Geminids Meteor Watch Geminids

That is at 4 count per hours.

Since the date is fixed, the problem here is how we can go there, accommodation, things to bring etc etc. If you are serious this plan will going well. But if we can't, of course there are Perseids meteor shower next year on August.

Sorry for my bad English, you can discuss in Malay as well.

Last edited by ZerOne01 on Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:52 pm; edited 5 times in total
    Back to top Go down
    https://hoshizora.forumtwilight.com
    aozuki_kei
    Level I
    Level I
    aozuki_kei

Male Planner

PostSubject: ...   Geminids Meteor Watch EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 10:22 pm

You said the location is at Pantai Morib, right? I'm here now in Banting, near with Pantai Morib. If you want to ask about accommodation or anything regarding here, don't hesitate but to tell me...
    Back to top Go down
    ZerOne01
    Admin
    Admin
    ZerOne01

Male Twitter Updater

PostSubject: Re: Geminids Meteor Watch   Geminids Meteor Watch EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 10:24 pm

really? You sure you can prepare all that? And you said there's an observatory there too. That would be awesome.

So one more problem is how we can get there, especially by public transport.
    Back to top Go down
    aozuki_kei
    Level I
    Level I
    aozuki_kei

Male Planner

PostSubject: hey...   Geminids Meteor Watch EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 10:49 pm

Yeah, I can arrange all that. As for public transport, I can give instructions how to get here from Kuala Lumpur. There's an observatory about 2km from my college, but I'm not sure if we can use that. Anyway, I can ask for the observatory number from my college. They've been here before...
    Back to top Go down
    ZerOne01
    Admin
    Admin
    ZerOne01

Male Twitter Updater

PostSubject: Re: Geminids Meteor Watch   Geminids Meteor Watch EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 10:54 pm

yep tell us how we can get there so that it will be much easier. And since you can prepare all that, I'm glad to say thanks for everything :3
    Back to top Go down
    aozuki_kei
    Level I
    Level I
    aozuki_kei

Male Planner

PostSubject: well...   Geminids Meteor Watch EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 11:01 pm

It's just a coincidence that I learned here (for the 1st time, I really am glad to be here)...
    Also, I don't know if the Astronomy Club in my college is aware of this, but do tell me how many people that confirmed to join by nest week. Than, I can make reservations and such. Maybe I'll even consider to merge with my college's Astronomy Club (it's too much for me alone to handle this)...
    Back to top Go down
    ZerOne01
    Admin
    Admin
    ZerOne01

Male Twitter Updater

PostSubject: Re: Geminids Meteor Watch   Geminids Meteor Watch EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 11:04 pm

yep that's why you need to tell us how to go there, so that we can help you too. lol got astronomy club too? Damn lucky.
    Back to top Go down
    aozuki_kei
    Level I
    Level I
    aozuki_kei

Male Planner

PostSubject: ha...   Geminids Meteor Watch EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 11:11 pm

Well, it's really simple. Just go to Central Market and take Cityliner bus to Banting. It'll cost RM 7.50. Of course, there's an alternate way where you take the bus to Klang and then take another bus to Banting. The cost is the same, though. I don't really like to call them an Astronomy Club, they are only on the name and there's nothing that they really organized. But, if we managed to do this, it'll mean that we're better than nothing...
    Back to top Go down
    ZerOne01
    Admin
    Admin
    ZerOne01

Male Twitter Updater

PostSubject: Re: Geminids Meteor Watch   Geminids Meteor Watch EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 11:21 pm

lol k thanks for the tips. And regarding that Astronomy club, i guess we shouldn't include them for starting. It's just some intro activity before we move further :3
    Back to top Go down
    aozuki_kei
    Level I
    Level I
    aozuki_kei

Male Planner

PostSubject: ...   Geminids Meteor Watch EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 11:31 pm

Agreed. But, I'll look into it before anything else. If they have the information, then I'll rip it from them. Haha...
    Back to top Go down
    ZerOne01
    Admin
    Admin
    ZerOne01

Male Twitter Updater

PostSubject: Re: Geminids Meteor Watch   Geminids Meteor Watch EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 11:44 pm

lol that's a must. If possible, grab some skycharts from them too. Or we will lost sight in constellation Gemini and miss the fun.
    Back to top Go down
    aozuki_kei
    Level I
    Level I
    aozuki_kei

Male Planner

PostSubject: woh...   Geminids Meteor Watch EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 11:50 pm

That's a brilliant idea. By the way, do you have any softwares to determine star constellations? I'm looking for that, but...
    Anyway, I'll start collecting information by Monday, and affirmed it the least next Sunday. Until then, please look for members to join. I'll make the estimation on budget and other stuff. If everything goes well, we might get access to the observatory. Pray for my luck...
    Back to top Go down
    ZerOne01
    Admin
    Admin
    ZerOne01

Male Twitter Updater

PostSubject: Re: Geminids Meteor Watch   Geminids Meteor Watch EmptySat Nov 27, 2010 12:02 am

Don't worry I have sufficient astronomy software in my laptop, and yeah I'll be looking for participants too. It will be among us I guess. Also, good luck :3
    Back to top Go down
    aozuki_kei
    Level I
    Level I
    aozuki_kei

Male Planner

PostSubject: telescope...   Geminids Meteor Watch EmptySat Nov 27, 2010 3:11 pm

Hey, do you know if we can afford to buy a telescope or at most, rent or borrow it? I heard that the cheapest one is around 400 or something...
    It'll be great if we can have at least 1, if you consider on continuing activities like this...
    Back to top Go down
    aozuki_kei
    Level I
    Level I
    aozuki_kei

Male Planner

PostSubject: telescope...   Geminids Meteor Watch EmptySat Nov 27, 2010 3:31 pm

Just find out something. Apparently, there's a beginner telescope in Amazon.com sold for only $20.99, or RM100 at least. Of course, there's a question whether it'll make it here before 12/12. But as soon as I get my allowances, I'm planning to get it. Tell me if you're interested too. Or not, I'll make it myself. Well, I'm thinking if we're really going to do it, we better do it right...

And here's the product review...
    Celestron 21024 FirstCope Telescope
    Back to top Go down
    aozuki_kei
    Level I
    Level I
    aozuki_kei

Male Planner

PostSubject: Further information...   Geminids Meteor Watch EmptySun Nov 28, 2010 12:11 am

I've confirmed that there are many group that will witness the Geminids Meteor Shower in Malaysia. Some of them are in Penang, others in Sepang, Johor, etc...
    I'll try ask these experienced groups on information and stuff. Again, I like to state that we really should consider getting a telescope since Malaysia are known to have thick clouds at night...
    Back to top Go down
    ZerOne01
    Admin
    Admin
    ZerOne01

Male Twitter Updater

PostSubject: Re: Geminids Meteor Watch   Geminids Meteor Watch EmptySun Nov 28, 2010 9:39 pm

I know there are many groups doing it, and we are the one small group who are attempting to do it too.
    Amateur stargazer just only need a binocular for activity, we need to know the position of stars and how they moving. Telescope is too much and if you can't handle, it probably will be a waste for us.
    Also, put rain or cloud aside, chance of seeing a meteor is about 4 to 5 per hours at the constellation Gemini. I afraid that we will miss that moment if we aren't plan carefully at that night.

Getting telescope is such a nice idea. But considering the knowledge and experience we have, telescope is not needed. But if you want, we should consider binocular.

Just my two cents.

EDIT: Some slight changes at the front page of this topic, and if you need twitter password and mobile SMS integration for twitter tell me here. I made a twitter account so that we can update our activities in such an easy and convenient way.
    Back to top Go down
    Drad_Flinger
    Level I
    Level I
    Drad_Flinger

Male

PostSubject: Join   Geminids Meteor Watch EmptyMon Nov 29, 2010 1:18 am

Hello there.
    This is so not like me. Anyway, I'll be joining you guys on the stargazing. And I also got a friend here who might be joining us (He completed SnM). What would be our place to stay the night? Will it be something like chalet? Or will it be just a plain mat on the beach?
    Back to top Go down
    ZerOne01
    Admin
    Admin
    ZerOne01

Male Twitter Updater

PostSubject: Re: Geminids Meteor Watch   Geminids Meteor Watch EmptyMon Nov 29, 2010 1:49 am

So you confirmed? Alright 3 or 4 participants now. And it'll be awesome if we can sleep only on a plain mat rofl, but yea just waiting for Kei to reply as he is the one who set up place for us. And thanks for reminding me, I need to rewatch SnM too.
    Back to top Go down
    aozuki_kei
    Level I
    Level I
    aozuki_kei

Male Planner

PostSubject: well...   Geminids Meteor Watch EmptyMon Nov 29, 2010 4:22 pm

After getting various advices from experts, I decided on getting a binocular first. The main problem for getting a telescope is...where to get it. Also, I will affirmed the venue with some of my colleagues acquaintances as I myself are not too familiar with this place. Do you prefer if we stay in tents or some chalet? Let me know fast...
    Back to top Go down
    ZerOne01
    Admin
    Admin
    ZerOne01

Male Twitter Updater

PostSubject: Re: Geminids Meteor Watch   Geminids Meteor Watch EmptyMon Nov 29, 2010 5:12 pm

Chalet? lol we just use the chalet on morning until evening, and we'll put our head on the mat the whole night at the beach or something like that. So what do you think better?

Back to top Go down
    aozuki_kei
    Level I
    Level I
    aozuki_kei

Male Planner

PostSubject: hmm....   Geminids Meteor Watch EmptyMon Nov 29, 2010 9:33 pm

Well, I'm thinking of getting tents, but it depends on how many of us will actually come. Also, I have to survey the place whether it's crowded or not. Really, there's a lot to think about. Anyway, how about food and beverages? Certainly we're not going there without any snack, aren't we?
    Back to top Go down
    ZerOne01
    Admin
    Admin
    ZerOne01

Male Twitter Updater

PostSubject: Re: Geminids Meteor Watch   Geminids Meteor Watch EmptyMon Nov 29, 2010 9:43 pm

seems lots of group choose there as a destination too so we can't predict that. And about food, depends. We can brings our own food or buy it there.
    Back to top Go down
    aozuki_kei
    Level I
    Level I
    aozuki_kei

Male Planner

PostSubject: ...   Geminids Meteor Watch EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 9:16 am

Tonight, my college's astronomy club will hold a meeting. I'll sneak in to find out what's its all about. If there's something that'll benefit us, or simply give us more information for upcoming event, I'll let you all know...
    Back to top Go down
    Drad_Flinger
    Level I
    Level I
    Drad_Flinger

Male

PostSubject: Which one...   Geminids Meteor Watch EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 10:17 pm

Hmm, I think tent(s) is better. ZerOne01?
    Back to top Go down
    Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Geminids Meteor Watch   Geminids Meteor Watch Empty

Back to top Go down

Geminids Meteor Watch
    Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next